• Upgrade Your Account
    Hello Guest ! Upgrade your account to download from our sections Here.
    How to upgrade your account to download resources Learn More.
    Guest need to see List rather permanently banned Members Learn More.
    Guest need to read through our rules and regulations Learn More.

20 Tips to Boost Performance in vBulletin Connect 5

DiVOLT

Registered
Thread starter #1
INTRODUCTION

As a side project, I am building a community website with vBulletin Connect 5 (vBC5).
I am using vBC5 as I have looked into it earlier.
I decided then to put it aside due to poor performance.
However, the vBC5 development team has been updating vBC5 rigorously since then, so time to revisit vBC5.
I have come up with some interesting tips to boost performance.
Which I like to share with you here, in the coming weeks.
My goal is to match the performance of a forum community that is known for its stellar performance.
After all, what's the Christmas season without a good side project? :)

--DiVOLT

Last edited:

NullXF

Team NullXF
XF Root
vBulletin is a modern source community but it supports no more and I turned to after 10 years of use xenforo source vBulletin

DiVOLT

Registered
Thread starter #3
I am aware of the mixed feelings towards vBC5 of seasoned vB3 & vB4 users.
I am focussing on vBulletin Connect 5 as a separate product, unrelated to vB3 & vB4.

--DiVOLT

DiVOLT

Registered
Thread starter #4
TIP #1 -- Make sure you run vBulletin Connect 5 on anything else then shared hosting.

vBulletin Connect 5 (vBC5) is a resource intensive application.
That's not surprising, as pretty much of the content it produces is supplied by its users.
Therefor, most of its data is dynamic in nature and needs to be composed on-the-fly.

But first of al, what is vBC5 really?
Well, it is nothing what its predecsssors vB3 & vB4 were: traditional discussion forums.
vBC5 is really a CMS: short for Content Management System.
It offers Articles, Blogs, Picture Galleries, Groups, Discussion Forums, Activity Streams, Memberlists, Who's Online, etc.
All the functions you come to expect from a community portal or social network.
The good thing is, is that it is affordable at US$ 249,- and has all of its components integrated into one Control Panel.

vBC5 is build with PHP5 and MySQL.
It uses jQuery as it standard JavaScript library and supports Ajax.
As with any large footprint PHP/MySQL application, it really needs to be tuned for performance.
If you don't, vBC5 will be slooow, very slow.
Luckily, vBC5 supports caching out of the box, and supports more advanced uses of in-memory caching as well.
The techniques that I am going to describe to you to tune vBC5, are mostlly applicable to anyt large PHP/MySQL application.
So you might learn a thing or two that will prove universally adaptable.

My first tip , TIP #1, is, that if you expect serious performance, then shared hosting will simply not do.
There is nothing wrong with shared hosting; it is the inherent sharing of machine resources that makes it unsuitable for tuning for performance.
You need a hosting platform that gives you access to configuration files, parameters, and values that allow you to tune your application to outrageous and second-to-none performance.
But enough talk -- I am going to show you the level of performance I am after.

Navigate to the Go4Expert.com , and play around with it a bit.
Go4Expert.com is a heavily optimized discussion forum about programming, and delivers staggering performance.
Don't take my word for it, convince yourself!

--DiVOLT

NullXF

Team NullXF
XF Root
I've used in a long time vbulletin present it is not the best commercial source if possible you should specialize used xenforo